Monday, May 14, 2007

Apartment 704!

Some of you might be wondering what life is actually like here on project, you might be saying "well sure Nicky, you blog about everything under the sun lately except what's actually happening in Halifax." Well, those updates are on the way...they just take a little longer to write. Coming soon is one entitled "Heartbroken for Halifax" which I hope to be gripping and powerful. (haha..I sound like a movie critic or something...bear with me.)

In the meantime, I'd like to let you in on the fun that happens here in Apartment #704. I live with 3 other lovely ladies, named Erin, Amber and Veronika. Veronika is my roomate ( see picture ) and we get along wonderfully as we both tend to be quite silly and love to laugh. Veronika attends York University and is enrolled in the Kinesiology program there. We have been able to keep our room quite tidy (for now, we'll see how that goes once the jobs are underway!) and enjoy laughing about random things. Our room is often the site of visitors as we are currently blessed with accessible wireless internet (others are not). We are laptop twins often carry on conversations sitting at our desks back to back facing our computers.
Residing in the room adjacent to ours is Erin and Amber. Erin also attends York and is in the Design program there. Erin is a very talented artist and has blessed our quote board(a collection of paper taped to the wall where we write down funny things that people say) with a beautiful drawing of a lighthouse. Amber attends the University of Saskatchewan(!) and is enrolled in the pharmacy program (which I also find very cool; I used to work in a pharmacy and so I love understanding some of the random lingo she says sometimes. I also run to her with any medical related question which she finds quite amusing...she's taught me a lot about the pharmaceutical industry and some cool Western Canada lingo; for example, out west they call hooded sweatshirts "bunnyhugs"...cute, yet it doesn't make sense...bunnies don't have pouches!)
We are all different but it's a delightful mix and we are enjoying living with one another. We have coordinated having "apartment time" during some meals and spend time getting to know one another more, which is nice. Pictured is our first apartment meal! (from left: Erin, myself, Amber, Veronika)

One particularly adventurous event we have encountered was the recent explosion of our toilet. Water was spewing from everywhere! We quickly discovered the quality of our apartment's construction as the water flowed under the wall and into our front entrance. After a flurry of reactions, Erin quickly had the janitor sent up, I had stopped the source of the water, Veronika had a handle on mopping (see picture for hilarity). This nice little mess took me a good while to clean up and as a result I was a half hour late for weekly meeting; we were reminded, however, the importance of having a sense of humour on project!

Hope you're all having a great start to your week!

3 comments:

nickyverboom said...

Hello Everyone...Nicky here...I'm having some technical difficulties signing in to my blog ...as a result I haven't been able to post and will likely have to change my blog address...I apologize for the inconvenience! I'm working on it!
Nicky

Unknown said...

not sure if you'll get this!
Just to say I completely understand the job hunt stress (have been feeling it for over 6 months now!) but I pray that you'll find a great job out there!!

Katie said...

Congrats on the job nicky!!! It sounds like you are having a great time!!